Wednesday, July 3, 2013

rooting around

While researching windowboxes for a client, I came across Barreau & Charbbonet's amazing Volet Végétal, which is not quite right for this particular project but inspiring nonetheless.  It neatly solves the problem of limited space and light in apartments by expanding outward using pulleys rather than statically blocking the window.  (It almost reminds me of a laundry drying rack.)  I think it would be most useful for growing herbs: you could maximize the light your plants received during the outdoor growing season, then disassemble it during the winter.  If you wanted to bring those herbs indoors but lacked the light, you could turn to Klorofyll.  There are a lot of cool designs that aren't that functional, and a lot of innovative designs that aren't elegant, but I loved both Klorofyll's design and its concept.  Sadly, it appears still to be in beta mode. 

I also stumbled across Mineo Mizuno's hauntingly beautiful moss sculptures.  Sometimes I still think about what I would do if were designing my own garden, and I could see using these pieces in a spare urban courtyard or, as they were displayed, discovering them among the trees in a forest setting.

(Thanks to http://www.urbangardensweb.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment