I.
“No one expects the Spanish Inquisition” – but the truth is,
I usually do. And then, sometimes, like
today, it isn’t what I get, not at all.
You mean you’re going to give me a PhD?
I keep wanting to ask. You mean
you’re actually going to do it? It has been a goal for so long, and I have
for so long defined myself as a failure for not having finished it, that it felt surreal to plunk hundreds of
pages down on a desk this afternoon and think, Wow, some minor changes aside, that’s
it. That’s actually - basically - it. I wrote that.
II.
Quite by chance, I afterwards found myself walking down a
street where I'd not been since the late winter.
I was full of optimism and expectations in February, and all the spring bulbs
were just coming up - just for me, I thought, happily. I looked at the green shoots and could imagine the drifts of color. “Botanical optimism,” I wrote then; “A reminder that good things are on their way.” Well, they were on their way, I suppose, if not quite in the way or the season I’d predicted. This afternoon, I considered the stretch of garden behind Silver Towers while hacking and ill, neither feeling my best nor,
likely, looking it. My body is rebelling against me. I crouched down to search for the toad-lily flowers, delicate as origami and hidden amongst the foliage. Someone had planted pink turtlehead (Chelone lyonii 'Hot Lips,' probably), euphorbia, mallow and bee balm. Blush-pink anemone, its buds pursed, sought admiration from the sidewalk. Most plants were a little bit past their peak, probably confused by the cool nights which have skipped ahead of Ferragosto to late September. But even now, I noticed, the garden's job is not done: bees flew so frantically from one flower to the next that I could hardly focus my camera to capture them.
III.
People keep saying, You're going to feel so good when this is done. You will feel different. It will be a weight off. Or: you're almost there, you must feel great. I don't know how I'll feel when I'm done, but right now it feels surreal: everyone has been acting as though this will happen, but today was the first day that I let myself believe it, like a gift you don't unwrap, or a complement you don't let yourself accept. What I feel right now is mostly surprise - not gratitude for impersonal luck, not the shock of trauma and loss, not the sur-PRISE! surprise of birthday parties and lotteries. It's a strange and quiet surprise – a surprise to find that there’s something left in me, something still producing, so late in this season.

No comments:
Post a Comment