![]() |
| In Situ, Redding, CT. |
II.
At night, I learn how to measure and convert, to use all the geometry that I'd ever forgotten that I knew, to read topographical maps and sketch site plans. Our final project is to draft a site plan from start to finish: from initial measurements and notes on foot traffic, water, wind and sunlight, to a final design made on vellum. I was recently asked to redesign an upstate yard to be lawnless, which sounds like the perfect project to me. Accordingly, this afternoon, I found myself sketching ideas on a yellow legal pad: a dogwood or maybe a crape myrtle, nandina, viburnum, black lilyturf, ladyfern, flowering quince, sedum, baptisia, crocosmia 'Lucifer'... It's a familiar form of list-making, and probably the part of gardening that I love the most: the assembling and positioning of plants. I've made lists for gardens realized and for some only imagined: my own past apartments, a mountaintop California ranch where I never did live, various imagined brownstones, my sister's house, a bar in Boerum Hill, a first-floor apartment in Prospect Heights, and a roof deck in Fort Greene that wasn't.
As I looked at the neighborhood on Google maps, I noticed lawn after lawn after lawn, some neatly trimmed, some shabby. In class last night, our instructor showed us her plans for a California yard, of which half is already paved concrete. "It seems to be what people do out there," she mused. I think that lawns are the East Coast's answer to paved concrete, minus the concerns about water use. It's the default, and, usually, the absence of thinking about what you might do with space. Charles Birnbaum, founder of the Cultural Landscape Foundation (which is running this weekend's tour), explained the foundation's mission as teaching people how to really see the landscape around them, to understand how it acts on them, to appreciate what it offers them. Each new project, each new site or garden, is a chance to find the possibilities in limitations. What could be more interesting than that?



No comments:
Post a Comment